Chamber Music by Egidio Duni, Matera-Born Composer (1708-1775)

The composer Egidio Duni is well known for his operas, but he also wrote a set of instrumental music, “Sei Sonate a Tre, Due Violini & Violoncello o Basso Continuo,” which was published in Rotterdam in 1738. To my knowledge, this set of lovely trio sonatas is almost never played anywhere, but myself (a violinist) and my colleagues would like to perform them and possibly make the first-ever complete recording of them. I have already made two complete recordings of neglected but important Baroque compositions: J.J. Walther’s Hortulus Chelicus (4 discs, Centaur Records, available on Amazon) and Alessandro Marcello’s 12 Violin Sonatas (2 discs, to be published in 2019). Duni’s Sei Sonate require only 3-4 instruments. I would like to know if there is a suitable space in Matera (maybe the Music Conservatory of Matera?) for a group of professors from my music conservatory to play these lovely sonatas. We are musicians who actively perform all over the world.

Best regards,
Prof. Sean Wang
Chair of Strings Department
Director of Orchestra
Violin Faculty (Modern and Baroque)
Longy School of Music of Bard College
Cambridge, Massachusetts
USA

Thanks to your proposal, Prof. Wang, it is interesting and very surprising for me that you found us from USA :slight_smile:
I have another proposal for you: what about not only play Duni’s operas, but make an artistic residence in 2019 i.e. with schools, or with Matera citizens, with the Matera Music Conservatory alumni?
For us is very important that Matera 2019 is not only a long series of artistic events, but that on the ground remains a legacy.
Let us know if our proposal could be interesting for you!

Thank you very much for the reply! Yes, I think it is an excellent idea to create a residency with local schools and residents, and also to find ways to make music together through community engagements. I am certainly open to your ideas, so please let me know the best way to proceed. I can, for example, envision an early summer residency (May is probably a good time) where a small group of professors and advanced students from my school travel to Matera to perform for high/middle/elementary school students and play chamber music with Matera Music Conservatory alumni. Or there can be masterclasses for local music students in addition to traditional concerts. There seems to be many possibilities, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Happy to hear that my idea is possible for you!
Let me speak about this with my boss :slight_smile: and then you will have our news.

That’s great, thank you very much! We are able to put together a strong group of professors and/or advanced graduate students (can be as small as 3 or 4 people). The budget for this cultural promotion and exchange will likely be reasonable. I look forward to hearing from you, and sincerely hope the proposal can be worked out!

Dear Leone,

Hello again from New York. Would you please let me know if there is new information about a collaborative residency in Matera in 2019? Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Sean Wang

Tomorrow I have a specific meeting about this with my managers :slight_smile:

Hi Prof. Sean Wang _ excuse me if I intrude myself but I did not know this Lucanian composer. wonderful music of when Italy excelled. Some time ago I saw the work of the Barber of Seville _ entirely made by Korean opera singers _ very good _ it is important that the strangers pass on our art since the Italian is now mostly a stateless person between two continents. compliments

Hello Bart, thank you for your comment. Egidio Duni was a significant Italian composer. His six sonatas for 2 violins and basso continuo are basically forgotten works as far as I know, and I would be very interested in performing them in Matera and then make a professional recording. I truly hope there will be an opportunity to do so! Best regards.

Dear Leone,

Please be so kind as to let me know if there is an update on my proposal. My project can be flexible to suit the festival’s specific objectives. Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Sean Wang

I’m sorry, Mr. Wang, I had no answers from my supervisor. So, I am not able to confirm you that you can come in Italy during the 2019. Very sorry if this has been a lack of time for you and your orchestra.

I will try again with my bosses, regarding your flexibility, but I don’t want let you wait for me again.
Sorry :frowning:

Thank you for the reply, your assistance is much appreciated, and I sincerely hope my colleagues and I will be able to contribute to Matera 2019 in a meaningful and artistic way!